Sunday, March 29, 2009

St Patrick's day in its homeland - Ireland

After a fabulous French dinner for Fiona, Tony and their Dad Anthony, celebrating their Birthdays from year round on one chosen communal day, we head up for another drink at the upstairs bar. Beers were following the dinner wine. Many unknown beers are offered and of course I go for new experiences. The Bar is a converted home (or two), the mood - a bit dark, an huge outer space for smokers, and lots of sexy dresses, their bottom seem very far from the high heals, exposing lots of untanned legs.

Sunday was a recovery day with a late start, and a bicycle ride to the nearby Dublin Bay. Took Betty’s (Ton’s partner) Bike that had only one brake and headed down the left side of the road. On many of the crossings the road had big letters painted “look right” or “look left”, knowing that a silly tourist like myself might just jump into the street assuming no car is arriving – which is probably true, since not many cars drive the wrong side… It was splendid to see the water so close to town, and the windswept mini sand dunes. Took a walk to the big statue of Maria situated on a very tall poll overseeing all the boats arriving. As I walk I pass a few little concrete bathing shelters dedicated for women or men. Reminded me of the one religious beach we have in Israel. Seems like Israel is more open and liberal than I remember.

On Monday Fiona Tony and I rented a car and drove up to Newgrange, a UNESCO World Heritage site older than the pyramids (Built around 3200BC). This megalithic passage tomb is pretty dramatic mound, especially from the outside as it covers around an acre and surrounded by 97 Curbstones. I especially loved all the megalithic art that included many spirals, my favorite symbol. The passage and chamber are designed to light up for the summer and winter solstice, but you’ll have to get in line to nab a place. In 2007, almost 28,106 people applied onsite with only 50 places available!

Tuesday was a visit to Glendalough (Glen of the two lakes). Yes, Tuesday was ST. Patrick’s day and we decided to escape the Dublin craziness and head out to nature. I sure had enough to drink by now. As we started our walk we realized we were not the only ones with this great idea. Luckily enough we went on the big route hike that included a real steep climb up he mountain with rewarding streams and a waterfall along the way, a splendid view from the peaks, and a marvelous climb down that included lots of running water and grand rocks to fulfill my projection of Irish land.

Wednesday I got to see the famous Race Stallions, and some Japanese gardens, but the best was seeing where Fiona grew up. It lights up Fiona in a whole new dimension. It is fascinating to me to know someone in one environment (like California), and then realize the whole history that comes along, which normally would be hidden from my sight. We both shared the Bay area experience and even some Boulder experience, yet I schlep the whole Jewish tradition on my shoulders (heavy, let me tell you), and she has the Irish one)

Thursday was museum day, which we started with a cappuccino at the Museum of Modern art. The special show on display was of Hughie O'Donoghue, which got me a bit jealous and some inspired. He uses photo prints on canvas and combines them with painting in a fantastic manner. It is almost seamless, and when not, it seems to serve a purpose. Grand large pieces and big brush strokes covering many layers. Had to drag the Walsh’s for a second viewing.

Friday afternoon, Gil picked me up at SF airport. There is nothing sweeter that someone close waiting for me at the airport, a feeling of being welcomed, a knowing there is someone that will always be there – unconditionally – Thank You Gil.

No comments: