Saturday, June 28, 2008

Big Sur Fire

“We took your art, your hard drive…motorcycle, California is on fire!”, the message was cut off. Michael my roommate is telling me what he is saving of my stuff, his tone of voice excited, as the area where we live in is being evacuated.
I am in Boulder hearing about the raging fires through media and friends. Visualizing the power, beauty and destruction of this great force through info I read on a digital screen.
Thousand of acres are burnt, homes gone, people working hard to try and keep it tamed. Helicopters, engines, human force and water team up. Fire, as part of nature does not seem to like to be told what to do, especially if the wind is on its side. It’s a cycle of nature, yet it feels different when it hits the area where one lives.

Esalen is now closed for visitors, and the road to it is blocked. Within this roadblock, Spirit Garden is hosting an art show of mine, which is still up (or maybe not?). Photos from Cuba with wooden frames and the (e)motion series printed on canvas, all yummy food for the fire.

Some weeks ago I was sitting with Jeremy, my friend at Esalen and we were talking about loosing all our possessions and how that would feel. I was visualizing a fire, and seeing that nothing is left. As real and good as my visual powers are, it is still very different than the real threat, of knowing that this could be it.
It’s a good reminder that things are exactly what they are - things. No more no less.

My heart goes to all those that are suffering in Big Sur, that are breathing the smoky air and helping calm down the fire. Blessings.

No comments: