Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wednesday, October 1st, Esalen life

4:45, I open my eyes to see sparkling stars within the darkness. The days are shorter, and the mornings are dark. The skylight reveals a clear sky, probably a sunny day ahead.
I prepare quietly as my roommate sleeps below, hop on my black Suzuki Katana (motorcycle), and head to the main property a mile down the road.

I peek into Huxley, the room where I’ll be teaching later to make sure it looks OK.
Down to the tubs, soaking in darkness with a vast dark sky above.
I take a quick cold shower and walk up to Huxley, the large room where my Yoga class is held.
I prepare the room, and then do my own practice till 7:15. Students arrive slowly and join me in meditation. By 7:30 the class begins. Blissful Yoga.
“Beautiful” I say as I see someone that cannot flex deeply but tries to go deeper with her breath. Breathing in, she lengthens and opens just a tiny bit more, but for her, the sky has opened.
After the silent and powerful Savasana (corpse pose where all are laying and resting), I put mats and props away, give hugs, exchange gratitude and get breakfast. It’s Wednesday and Sheila made her raw Muesli. Yum!

Before 10:00 I walk on the little bridge over the creek and head to the dance dome. Dancing with Vin Marti - Soul Motion, a seven-day dance workshop. What joy to move so freely, to connect so intimately with others, to be alive and grateful for this body.

“Feel your feet, where are you now. Feel your hands, your sky dancers. Your breath, how are you breathing now? See the space around you. Soft gaze.”
Vin has this remarkable way of connecting the dance with awareness, with being in the present “what is happening now? Right now?”
We are 45 dancers of all ages, moving flowing alone and with each other.
At times dancing with a guided instruction, maybe with someone else or a group, at times dancing, just moving, inside with an awareness of the space, of the canvas we dance in.

12:30 I head back, get a quick lunch and into the kitchen. It’s my Chef night at Esalen. I am still in training, but really, get to be the Chef.
Wednesdays are fish nights at Esalen, and as a fish lover, I feel fortunate to serve the community healthy delicious meals.
Local fresh sea bass brought over by the fisherman himself is served with a maple ginger tamari glaze, topped with fennel. A kabucha (Japanese squash) miso soup, greens wilted in a warm Dijon vinaigrette, and brown Basmati rice with scallions accompany the fish. Tofu with the same glaze topped with red bell pepper julienne and sunflower sprouts is the veggie option.

Running the kitchen while preparing the food fills m heart with a sense of service. As people are enjoying dinner I peak out to the lodge and smile. Gordon Wheeler the CEO and president of Esalen, comes in to the kitchen to thank and compliment me.

Wednesday October 1st, thank you for so much opportunity.

No comments: