Friday, October 17, 2008

The meaning of Meaningful

(A half fiction situation with fiction names)

“I have a feeling that everything I do needs to be meaningful. When I am engaged in an activity I feel like it should serve some sort of purpose. Having spent the time in a useful manner”
I spoke these words with a group of friends, asking if anyone thinks there is a problem with that.
Looking deeper into what I just said, I realized that what I considered as meaningful is if the next day I would not have feelings of regret or guilt towards the time spent doing whatever it might be I was doing.
“I just went through a period in which I would wake up at 11:00am every day, do Yoga, and watch hours of TV. I felt that it was very meaningful as through that I managed to deal with the heartbreaking separation of the love of my life” said Heather.
Do we need to save the whales in order to be doing something meaningful?

“ I love to take long showers and just stare at the wall, that doesn’t seem meaningless to me, as I feel that it helps me with what ever bigger task I may have later.” “I love staring at the wall too” said another.
“I do meaningless things all the time. Just let me built a dirt bike and then drive it through the mountain paths” this gives me so much joy, what can be more meaningful than that?

Is it considered meaningful according to the outcome of the action or is the action itself what makes it meaningful?
If it is according to the outcome, Is it important that others benefit from it, or can it be meaningful even if the outcome is of benefit to me alone?

Doing something that brings me Joy, can be meaningful to me, as well as bring benefit to others by me being a source of joy to others. As long as I do not do anything that might hurt or harm anyone or anything else.

Doing something that leads me to become a better person, either physically, mentally, emotionally or intellectually is meaningful to me, as again it will lead me to be joyful and of service to others.

Meaningful is very individual. Indeed there are some social codes of what is meaningful (like saving the whales or getting another degree) yet on an every day life, the meaning of time spent in a certain way is dependent on how one feels during, after and long after the time spent. (One might enjoy drinking with friends tonight but have a hang over the next day. If done very often, may even lead to great liver issues years later). Is the outcome of the time spent meaningful in a sustainable way? Benefit for now, tomorrow and further…
It can be an action or a non-doing.

After struggling with this questions for six months now, I realize that I participate in many activities, including sitting still and doing nothing. Yet even this is done with an intention to just be, not hang out as to pass time, but be here and now, with out relation to time and space.

Joy, gaining knowledge, practicing self-realization and maintaining a healthy body and mind are all of substance to me. I can reflect back and feel that my day was worth living. Not another day, or time that passed by. A meaningful day, a day that when `lying in bed before sleep, makes me smile and feel content.

What is a meaningful way for you to pass time?

No comments: