Monday, October 25, 2010

The original sin

She ran towards me naked, wearing a big smile and her crocks. Why not barefoot on the grass I thought? Maybe to make sure her feet don’t get dirty or that she doesn’t step on anything? There was a sense of freedom in her movement. She was liberated and joyful. I heard my name come out of her sweet perfectly created lips. I love the feel of the earth under my feet. Connecting with the energy of the earth, I stepped into the Jacuzzi and she followed, barely making it over, even though she is relatively tall for a three year old.

I recently attended a Baptism class. For the fist time in my life I am honored with the title Godfather. It is not so common in Israel, but since my Goddaughter is Catholic and lives in the bay area, it’s a different story.

“It is with this water that we wash away the original sin’”, explained the priest. He started with describing the temptation of the fruit that was forbidden, and how that led to the awareness of the man and the woman of their being naked.
“God called for man and woman, ‘where are you?’
‘We are hiding’, they replied.
‘And why are you hiding?’ asked God
‘Because we are naked’
‘And how do you know you are naked? Ahh, you must have eaten from the tree’”.

The priest gave us the story in a very easy to understand way. We sat there on simple chairs, a few parents with their babies and a few Godparents to be.
“By washing their original sin, they will be able to go up straight to heaven.”
Oops I thought. Not good being Jewish, I still am wearing that original sin, yet I feel very comfortable naked and love bathing at the Esalen hot springs with only my skin on.

After seeing my niece running so freely naked, completely careless of needing to hide anything, I wonder. Who is it that brings on us the original sin? When is it that Maya will realize that she needs to cover up?
Are we able to relieve ourselves from some of the conditioning we carry and find the liberty of life?

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet loving story with us. I appreciate your insights and your questions for me to drift off and ponder. Delightful! Much love to you, my friend. ~Alicia

Unknown said...

I've actually thought about this one before. Before Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge they had no idea that nakedness was a sin. They had no idea of sin at all. Seeing things without judgement, without knowledge, was the way they lived in the garden of Eden, which was heaven on earth, or living in oneness. Seeing things through the lens of sin and judgement brings about separation. Joe

Anonymous said...

Are we able to relieve ourselves from some of the conditioning we carry and find the liberty of life?
...we need to search for the truth and the truth will set us free.