Monday, June 8, 2009

The Eco Rebel: Saving the world one drop at a time

Standing in the tub rinsing the biodegradable soap off, I stay standing as the warm water rushes over my skin, loosening my muscles that don’t really want to move at 4:00am. I stop the water from draining, thinking that the extra steam would do me good, that the soaking of my feet in the water will soften my heels (crucial to have nice soft feet as a yoga teacher), and as I see the tub filling with water, my Eco friendly self jumps in and feels bad for the waste. I step out to finish drying, leaving the tub full, thinking I’ll find what to do with this water later.

After teaching my two yoga classes, I rode my bike to the bank to transfer my NY account to be a California one. It’s about time after 3 years in this area. Guess that since I haven’t signed a lease for a home yet, and the address I use is my brother’s, I felt that California is not officially my new home. NY was my last steady home (8 years in the same building for all you that like to call me a gypsy:)), and since then I was living wherever I was welcome, always with a semi departure date.

Now that I am pseudo living a “normal” life, I felt that the time is right. California has also grown on me, and as they say, nothing is more permanent than the temporary. As I was filling up my deposit slip, a sweet young woman approached me and asked if I would like to open an account. Hmmm, was it written on my face? I realize that they have a promotion now, and I assume she gets something out of it too. The Chinese woman took me to her desk, while speaking at the speed of light. We managed to learn about each other, where we’re from, what languages we speak and what I do for a living. When she heard I used to do photography and now I teach Yoga, her face transformed. “But why”, she asked and continued without waiting for an answer, “I need the extra money so I can travel. I would love to go to Israel during Christmas. But it’s expensive, right? And dangerous too?” Deja vous. I remember seeing many similar looks in NY, when I was speaking of leaving the ”glamorous” art and fashion life.

“If you are an artist, shouldn’t you have torn pants and red hair? I have one client here that changes his hair color all the time”. I smiled. I was wearing pretty cool black pants, and simple bright blue shirt. Suddenly I was conscious that my clothes might look old, and for sure nothing like the “well dressed” around me. “She takes another look at me, seems dazzled and says, ”You have many professions, as long as you can manage to get by”.

I returned home, made lunch, email, nap…and when I woke up something started smelling a bit stuffy. The toilet? I am a pretty anal guy about cleaning, but hey, smell is smell. As I looked for a cleaning cloth (I always take an old piece of clothing, or a kitchen sponge that is on its last leg) I realize that the tub is full, and that’s the source of the smell. Not so bad, and only some water has evaporated. Since my veggie garden did not need extra water, I decided to use the water for cleaning the car.

I took the waste basket behind me and with a sweeping motion filled it up from the tub, Walking through the small cottage, out the screen door, down two steps, along the path, ducking under the fig tree branches (just like in Israel), passed the baby banana tree, I open the wooden gate, pass my motorcycle and pour it over the top of the dirty metallic grey Pontiac Vibe. This scene has repeated itself many times, more than I can count. In the process I asked myself: “what am I doing?” How much does water cost, and how crucial is it to save the planet, when everyone around me has a huge lawn. I even managed to feel happy that I am cleaning the wastebasket at the same time. Hmmm, am I becoming fanatic? I decided to practice “just carrying the water”. In the Zen spirit, I took it as a meditation. Back and forth, step after step, washing away the dirt.

I managed to clean the Vibe, to somewhat clean a Civic that is living here waiting for its owner to return very patiently, and even clean my Suzuki Katana. As I was wiping the windows, my reflection appeared, standing in my black tank top, my arms seemed a bit buffed from the work, I smiled at my reflection feeling good. A moment later a neighbor walks through his nice Zen looking gate (really a door connected to a tall wooden wall that surrounds his home; never really could see what his garden looks like). He looks my age, wearing a nice suit, tapping his iphone as he passes by. I reflect for the second time today about my life choices. At my age, I could own a big house, driving a fancy car, wearing fancy clothes, and bragging about my fancy wife. I would stop through a car wash on my way to a meeting, making phone calls as big machines rub the car.

Instead I feel like a lone warrior, a rebel. In my own little way, using my hands and tub water, wearing the same pants I own for 7 years now, and no, I am not a hippie. Just me. My Gemini reflects on the two sides, knowing I could do well either way. Even though I get a momentary high thinking of the “glamor” life I could be living now, I know in a deep sense, that this is my truth. That I will not regret the choices I am making now.

By washing my car this way, I saved on a gym membership, saved on a car wash and saved on the water. Really for me it is about saving the construction of the gym equipment, the gym building, same for the car wash machine, equipment water and soap, and it might have even taken me less time than doing both gym and driving to the car wash.

Mostly it takes just a moment of awareness in our actions. Some ideas:

• If it’s yellow let it mellow if it’s brown let it drown (in the toilet that is)
• While waiting for hot water in the sink, fill up your kettle or Britta
• Close the faucet while brushing your teeth or shaving
• Wash your car with a bucket and gratitude (Think Karate Kid)
• Please share more ideas in the comments below : )

And…enjoy. Don’t let this stress you out. I think of these as fun games, an attitude, a joy in doing this, so do it only when it is of not too much trouble.

We are saving the world, one drop at a time. : )

No comments: